Saturday 29 December 2012

30 minutes of fun

28 Dec. After a morning on the ski slopes of Xscape at Castleford, I didn't really feel up to doing much on the turbo but I guilted myself into it. By the time I finally got everything set up I was running a bit short of time so I planned a single 30 minute interval at 300W (roughly 95% FTP) while watching a repeat of the 4th Stage of the 2011 Tour De France. It's the one where Roy goes on a solo break and is slowly chased down (I won't ruin the end for you but it's a good stage).

I was doing well for the first 15 minutes, averaging a healthy 309W, but I though this would be difficult to maintain for the next 15 so I dropped it down to 300W. At 23 minutes I had a strange wobble where I felt like stopping, so I backed off for about a minute and then got back on the power and finished with an average of 304W (96% FTP) for the 30 minutes.
 
This is actully quite a good workout and the 23 minute wobble shows me that it is probably an area that I need to be working on and trying to extend my duration at higher power. So, more of this or 2x20 I think. It's just a shame they hurt so much!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mike, it's been good reading you blog. My training is also dominatedby turbosessions(2 x 20's) so it good to read I'm not suffering alone. I don'tdo anything but threshold efforts 5 days perweek. My FT is currently 240 -my rather ambitious goal is 300watts by April. It's challenge- Starting from 10 weeks of no riding whatsoever I've gone from 170-240 FT. Keep up the hard work!
    Cheers Toks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Toks

    Sounds like you've made some good improvements already. When I first started training properly I went from an FTP of 280 to 306W in a couple of months but I didn't seem to improve much on this despite some hard racing and lots of training. good luck with your 300W target!

    ReplyDelete